Wednesday, June 29, 2016

SD conditioner, thrice-attempted

After my last catastrophic failure, I went straight into the next attempt. I kind of had to, since I had a dish full of cool down ingredients waiting to be used.

This time I tried as well as I could with the ingredients I have (and the cool down ingredients I had already measured out) to follow a recipe (Shiny Locks intensive conditioner from this document). The only change I had to make was to substitute 7% cetearyl alcohol for the 4% stearyl alcohol and 3% cetyl alcohol, because that is what I have, and to use the cool down ingredients I had from last time (dimethicone, cyclomethicone, silk amino acids, fragrance oil, disodium EDTA, liquid Germall Plus), which is an addition of silk amino acids, leaving out the panthenol, and different amounts of dimethicone and cyclomethicone.

I followed the instructions in the recipe, putting the water, SD, citric acid, and cetrimonium chloride in the water phase, and the cetearyl alcohol in the oil phase (the dimethicone and cyclomethicone were already mixed into the cool down ingredients so I put them in at the end).

Per the instructions, I heated the water and oil phases to 65°C before mixing the water into the oil. I stirred with the milk frother for 3 minutes. The emulsification was thick and nice.

I waited until the mixture cooled to 40-45°C before adding the cool down ingredients. Upon adding, the emulsion thickened to nearly solid, them thinned to quite runny but not water thin.

Overnight it separated.

No comments:

Post a Comment