Wednesday, June 15, 2016

It begins...

Alchemists love bathing, right? Well this one does.

I've always been kind of fascinated by making my own stuff. I have a minor obsession with self-sufficiency, and a more-or-less insatiable lust for knowledge. Also I have a thing for smelly things; pretty sure it's genetic, as I've been like that since I was a baby. Enter my forays into cosmetic chemistry (among other adventures including sewing and gardening). I started making soap about three years ago after being told by a soap-making co-worker that it's easy enough, and to just do it. It was a gateway drug.

Some people and their skin love real soap, and some don't. I like it for getting deodorant off my armpits, but I have sensitive, acne-prone skin, and I'm an elitist when it comes to elegant formulas, so as much as I like soap, I find it kind of limiting, and frankly, I want more options. I plan to keep making soap, since a lot of people I know just can't get enough of it, and probably talk about it from time to time on this blog, but I'm branching out into other, more specialized, skin care products because that is what I'm interested in and what I want to use. Hopefully this will serve as a chronicle of my becoming a really great cosmetic formulator, a companion for others on the same journey, and maybe a guide for others who want to do the same some day. So join me!

Also a note: I'm a scientist (though not a chemist), and I subscribe to science-based decision-making. Please don't refer me to SkinDeep or Mother Jones and tell me some ingredient I'm using is bad. If they are not supported by peer-reviewed academic publications, I reserve the right to tell you your ideas are bunk and shoo you off my blog. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment