Wednesday, July 6, 2016

SD conditioner try #4

For attempt number four I decided I'd try to follow a recipe as closely as I was able in hopes of better results. I chose this one: Shiny Locks Intensive Conditioner. The only thing I had to change was that instead of 4% stearyl alcohol and 3% cetyl alcohol, I had to use 7% cetearyl (i.e. 3.5% each stearyl and cetyl) because I don't have any sterayl on its own. I also added 0.5% dimethicone instead of 0.1% by accident. I used a mix of 1% sodium benzoate and 0.5% potassium sorbate as the preservatives, dissolved in a little water I reserved for the purpose.

The heated water phase contained 2% stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, 0.3% citric acid, 0.5% panthenol, 3% cetrimonium chloride, and q.s. water. The heated oil phase contained 7% cetearyl alcohol, 2% cyclomethicone, and 0.5% dimethicone. I heated to 70°C and held for 20 minutes, poured the water phase into the oil phase, and mixed. The result was white (not instantly separating) and water thin. I added the preservatives in the bit of reserved water at 45°C and left it to sit for a while.

It separated again.

No comments:

Post a Comment