Monday, June 20, 2016

Micellar water

So, micellar water is all the rage in North American skin care at the moment. It also has, like, five ingredients. That's basically an invitation for a DIY version.

My version contains water, preservative, Cromollient SCE (INCI Di-PPG-2 Myreth-10 Adipate), which is an emollient, solubilizing surfactant, and a touch of glycerin and panthenol to make it nice.

It's not clear, so it doesn't look like water. Perhaps I should call it micellar milk and launch the newest trend. It makes my face feel a bit warm when I use it; I figure this may be due to the mild warming sensation glycerin can cause. It also makes my skin feel a little crunchy; I'm less sure about this part, it might be that the cotton pads I use it with are more abrasive on my dainty hide than my hands (which is how I normally apply cleanser), or it could be that the fact that it is a rinse-free product and is leaving residual surfactant on my skin.

It's not mind-blowing, but using it would certainly be better than not cleaning my face at all, which is one of the things I hate most in the world. I think it might be good for a mid-day wipe-off after, for example, going for a sweaty walk outside on a day like today, when the temperature is 34°C and the humidex is 40°C.

I may try to make other versions with different surfactants in the future, since I see how this could be a convenient product. I've seen other examples made with decyl glucoside and caprylyl/capryl glucoside, and also polysorbate 20.

1 comment:

  1. So interesting reading your blog! I love hearing about your experiences, keep sharing them! I use cromollient SCE in my Oil cleanser! I use A base of sunflower seed oil, alkyl benzoate, and cromollient. How are use very little of it and this cleanser is very silky and soothing! It is extremely effective for unclogging pours. To be honest, I make it as a alternative to how are use very little of it and this cleanser is very silky and soothing! It is extremely effective for unclogging pores. To be honest, I make it as a alternative to the Roccoco Botanicals Oil cleanser I used to use, but it is very expensive and for such a simple and cheap product to make?… I respect the brand greatly and this is the only product I will try to make of theirs! Same exact ingredients, but probably not the same percentages exactly, however it does feel the exact same own leaves my skin feeling identical To the RB. I have not tried this ingredient in water though as it seems it would be cloudy. My micellar water is just as clear as water using the Peg –6 caprylic triglyceride. It leaves my skin feeling clean and sooth but not over residued. I think it is very easy to add too much humectant to micellar waters thus leaving the residue feeling. And of course I think it does depend on what surfactant you use. So little is needed!

    ReplyDelete