Monday, June 20, 2016

Facial moisturizer for Mom, aka Crème de la Mère :D

I made my mom a facial moisturizer to stop her from putting the heavily-scented body butter I made her on her face. She's funny that way; if it's something I made, she tends to put it on her face. She does it with soap too.

Anyway, I thought I'd make her something nice, with lots of fancy ingredients (y'know, sort of unlike the $170 cream I'm spoofing in the title...). She's gotten concerned lately about big pores and the potential for blackheads, she's also 63 and has generally dry skin.

I included sooo many things:
Niacinamide (vitamin B3) for its anti-aging, pore-reducing, anti-acne, and general skin-awesomeness effects
Retinol for anti-wrinkle, pore-reducing, anti-acne, sun damage-reversing, cell-proliferating, there's-nothing-this-ingredient-can't-do effects
Haloxyl for reducing under-eye circles due to unabsorbed blood components
Vitamin E for anti-oxident properties
Allantoin for its healing and occlusive properties
Glycerin as a humectant
Hydrolyzed silk protein for moisturizing and conditioning
Panthenol (pro-vitamin B5) as a humectant/emollient/moisturizer
Dimethicone as an emollient and occlusive
Cetyl alcohol as an oil-free moisturizer
Shea butter at a low percentage because she likes it
Jojoba oil as a non-comedogenic emollient
Tamanu oil because I've had a good experience with it helping to reduce post-acne red marks on my own face
Hydrolyzed oat protein as a moisturizer and anti-irritant
BTMS-50 as a dry-feeling emulsifier
Water
And of course a preservative

Whoa, that is a totally maxed-out lotion. My mom is a low-maintenance kinda lady, so I figured that all the good stuff would have to go in a single product; she's not a multi-product kinda girl. The only things I considered but didn't include were hydroxy acids, because they require a lower pH to be effective than the niacinamide, so the two are incompatible in a single product. The retinol will act as an exfoliant to help get the old, dead skin off, so hydroxy acids might have been overkill anyway.

She's used it at least once and said it felt kind of "coating" at first. I've tried it on my chest and neck, and I agree. I would reduce the dimethicone by half if I make it again. However, when I asked her about it a few hours after she applied it, she said it had absorbed nicely and that her skin felt soft. I suggested it could be used at night. I can smell the tamanu oil in it (which is not the best smelling stuff), but she can't smell it, so that's great. I hope she likes it, and I hope the ingredients do something nice for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment