Monday, June 20, 2016

Gersh-wash

My sister is even lower maintenance than my shampoo-as-body-wash dad. She uses the bar soap I make on her hair (and face and hands and body and clothes - probably - ...), and I wish she wouldn't. Soap isn't good for hair, and hers is fine and recently un-dreadlocked. She said she'd use an all-in-one wash if I made her one, so I did. She has dry skin, so I factored that in too.

The surfactants I used were cocamidopropyl betaine and sodium laureth sulfate. After the previous all-in-one disaster, I wanted to keep it simple with something I could be reasonably sure would work. I put in 15% glycerin because a commercial body wash I like has glycerin as the second ingredient and she's a dry and itchy kinda girl. I added some glycol distearate to thicken it up as well as moisturize, and some cetrimonium chloride for detangling, as I knew this would be used on her hair.

Other bits I included for niceness were hydrolyzed silk protein, panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), and dimethicone for a bit of added hair conditioning. I fragranced it at half the rate of the cream for our mom that she had deemed over-scented; the result was just about perfect, fragrance-wise, in my opinion. I didn't include any quaternary cationics because her hair is fine like mine and I figured it might react the same way, namely with grossness.

All mixed up, this all-in-one wash was a nice consistency. It didn't need any additional thickener. It is quite creamy but not super bubbly. I think it will be very nice used with a pouf. I haven't gotten much feedback from her on it, as I just gave it to her and she is camping in a bathing-free environment for the next week, but I consider this one more or less a success! I guess I will have to make something more like this for my dad and husband, as an apology for the nasty concoction I gave them last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment