Monday, June 20, 2016

Mango 'cado cream

I had been using the bit of my mom's cream I had kept to try out, and was quite liking it. I thought I might like to try to make something with a bit of a drier feel to it, since I'm a greasy sort of person to start with. I figured I'd give mango butter a shot; it's much drier feeling than shea butter when used on their own, and it would go well with the pomegranate mango fragrance oil I wanted to use. I kept the avocado oil as the liquid oil because I like it and it is not a super greasy feeling oil. I also decided to use a different emulsifier, choosing BTMS-50, which is supposed to give a more powdery feel, instead of emulsifying wax, which is more waxy. I substituted cetyl alcohol for stearic acid too, I wanted a more slippery lotion, and I hoped the cetyl might not make it as thick as the stearic.

My process for making it was the same as for my mom's cream. I'm evidently still a noob at this, because I got to having a bit of a panic as I was making it, worrying about how thick the BTMS-50 would make it (given my experience using it in conditioner). I thought it might be too thick to get the watery cool-down phase to incorporate nicely, so I added it a bit early, just under 50°C. I don't know if the extra bit of heat is the cause of it, but the fragrance I used has a funny after-smell to it that I'm not in love with. I've used the fragrance in soap before and never noticed it. Actually, that's a lie. I used it in a batch that I under-calculated the lye for, which I had to rebatch as a hot process, adding more lye; that one smelled weird when it was heated in the slow cooker.

Anyway, it's an okay cream. It got pretty full of air because I mixed it with the milk frother, and the bubbles are gradually coming out of it, making it settle in the container. It is thick, but not as thick as my mom's. And it is slipperier than hers too. I think I might like hers better though.

No comments:

Post a Comment