Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Polysorbate-20 micellar water

After the unwanted foaminess with the caprylyl/capryl glucoside and decyl glucoside attempts, I decided to change course and go for a definitely-non-foaming surfactant, polysorbate-20.

I followed the same strategy and processing as in the decyl glucoside formula, with just water, surfactant, and preservative, at the same percentages.

I couldn't believe it when this one stung too! Polysorbate-20 is recommended at up to 20% of a formula (and is mostly used for leave-on products)! That's when I figured out it wasn't likely the surfactants stinging... it was the Optiphen. Looks like my skin prefers parabens and formaldehyde donors... on my face, anyway. Oh well, I'm not afraid of well-tested ingredients. I also feel like powdered Germall Plus is on its way to becoming my favourite preservative anyway; it's so much cheaper and you use so little of it!

My skin felt good after using this formula (after rinsing it off to stop the Optiphen sting), not crunchy like with the last one. So, I'll be trying this one again some time with a different preservative.

No comments:

Post a Comment