Wednesday, July 6, 2016

My version of "facial wash with a ton of extracts"

Hot on the heels of my conditioner success, I thought I'd go for a more-or-less guaranteed success: a surfactant product. I modified a version of Susan Barclay-Nichols' Facial Wash with a Ton of Extracts, from her Formulating Facial Products ebook, to suit me and to include some extracts I got in my most recent ingredients shipment (it arrived before the postal strike, woo!).

Frankly, Susan's version of this looks like a mix of blood and mud, but that is due to the extracts she chose to include, not due to the basic ingredients. My version contains the green tea and cucumber peel extracts, so it is yellow-y green. I also put in 2% salicylic acid, which seems to have precipitated after the mixture cooled, but is staying mostly dispersed, so I just shake it up before using.

I don't know if it is the undissolved SA (don't think so as I've made a 2% SA cleanser that had the same problem before), the cucumber peel extract (Susan says some people can be sensitive to it), or the surfactants I chose, but I find it a touch burn-y along the edges of my eyelids when I wash my face with it. I didn't make that much of it, so I'll just use it up. I'd like to come up with a SA recipe I really like, as I've been noticing more blackheads on my nose lately. Maybe because it's summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment