Tuesday, July 12, 2016

PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil micellar water

I hadn't opened my container of PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil (hereinafter referred to as PEG-40) yet, so I thought I'd give another micellar water a go using this as the surfactant. Given that I liked how my skin felt using the polysorbate-20 version (after rinsing off the nasty stinging Optiphen Plus), I was hopeful that I might like this one too; they are both non-foaming surfactants, usually used as solubilizers.

Following the formula of my last couple of batches, this one was just water, surfactant, and preservative. I switched out my 1% of Optiphen Plus and used 0.5% of liquid Germall Plus instead. This time I heated the water and PEG-40 together so the PEG-40 would melt; it's quite thick at room temperature. Once it cooled down, I added the preservative.

My opinion of this one is that it feels much nicer than the caprylyl/capryl glucoside and the decyl glucoside versions due to the lack of soapiness and not feeling crazy-dry after using it, and better than both of those and the polysorbate-20 version due to not having the Optiphen sting. I also think I like it better than my first Cromollient version because it's not as sticky, but I think that is the fault of the glycerin in that recipe.

My skin felt clean-ish and fresh after using this recipe. Bear in mind that I don't wear makeup, but I do use a prescription lotion and a sunscreen, as well as having really oily skin, which is what the cleanser was having to deal with after a full day at work. I don't know if I'll ever really be able to get behind a leave-on cleanser (I'm totally neurotic about rinsing toothpaste out of my mouth too), but it will be a convenient thing to have when camping or working outside in the summer, which is something I do fairly regularly.

Of all the recipes I've tried, this is my favourite so far, but I definitely want to give a fair chance to the Cromollient and polysorbate-20 by trying them in recipes without stuff that me and my skin don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment