Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Lip balm

I'm a lip balm junky. I collected Lip Smackers as a young teen, and I've been totally addicted to Burt's Bees original peppermint lip balm for about 10 years, and was a fan of Blistex's Lip Medex before that. I've made lip balm lots of times in the past but never been totally satisfied with the outcome. I thought it was time to rectify that.

I tried to duplicate Burt's Bees about 6 months ago. I had the right ingredients, but it turned out way harder than I wanted. About 2 months ago, I rebatched the hard lip balm, adding more coconut oil, and got a really nice consistency but wasn't sure what the actual percentages were! The other day, I made an educated guess at what the recipe ought to be and tried it out with some new lip balm flavouring (mai tai punch, very nice!) I picked up from Candora.

Glam's Lip Balm Recipe
49% coconut oil
25% beeswax
24% sweet almond oil
1% vitamin E
1% flavouring

I melt my oils/wax in a little metal dish on low heat on the stove, but I would think microwaving/stirring intermittently would work too. When the wax and coconut oil are all melted and stirred in, I add the flavouring and vitamin E, give it a stir, and pour it into a lip balm tube.

A regular lip balm tube holds about 4.5 grams. I made a single trial tube (not quite full) by using 2 grams of coconut oil, 1 gram each of beeswax and sweet almond oil, and a few drops each of vitamin E and flavouring oils. It's a good way to try the recipe out to see if the formula is to your liking.

This is how full the tube is using the 4 g version of the recipe.

This lip balm is smooth (not grainy), of medium thickness (not too hard, not too runny/gooey), has decent longevity, and is not shiny.

If you wanted to make this like Burt's Bees, use peppermint oil for your flavouring, and, if you are making a larger batch, the tiniest bit of rosemary oil. One drop of rosemary oil in a single tube would be too much, so just leave it out if you are making only one or two tubes.

NOTE: Feel free to use this recipe, even sell products you make using it (you, of course, would be responsible for any liability for products you sell), just don't claim it is your recipe. Give credit where credit is due. If you re-post my recipe, please reference it properly and provide a link back to here. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment